a problem to solve

Fri Mar 24 19:36:45 EST 2006

mensanator at aol.com wrote:

> You have 4 panels, each with 20 lamps (label them 19 to 0):
>
> panel A 00000000000000000000
> panel B 00000000000000000000
> panel C 00000000000000000000
> panel D 00000000000000000000

I'm sorry for being so dense, but I don't understand this. There are
four panels, yes. Each panel has eight switches, and each switch has 20
lights. What do you mean when you say that each panel has 20 lamps?

> By the way, I have a program that solves the problem.
> You said you wanted to do it yourself, so if you need more
> help, I can walk you through how to solve it.

I already know the solution (I had to cheat to get past this part of the
game, it was just too frustrating). I was always more interested in the
actual process of figuring it out via writing a program. You can tell me
your solution if you want and I can check it. This will at least confirm
that you understand the problem fully and that I'm just being moronic
when it comes to understanding your explanations. :)