__slots__

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at wintersun.org
Sat Mar 25 19:13:10 EST 2006

John J. Lee wrote:
> aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:
>>you should be using pychecker or pylint
>
> I'm curious, as somebody who doesn't regularly use these tools: How do
> they fit into your workflow?  Do you run them every few hours, every
> day, every time you run functional tests, every release, every so
> often, on gut feeling about when it's likely to catch problems...?

I use pychecker when I have finished a chunk of work that is supposed to
be syntactically correct, but before I try any unit testing. Think of it
as an optional step that takes the place of running the compiler in
statically-typed language development. I use pytchecker again before I
release anything, just to be sure.

> How do you cope with spurious warnings?  Does it involve tweaking code
> to quell warnings?  Keeping suppression lists?

Suppression lists work for me.

 From http://pychecker.sourceforge.net/

*** begin quote ***

You can also define suppressions in your code by doing:

         __pychecker__ = 'no-namedargs maxreturns=0 unusednames=foo,bar'

*** end quote ***

> Do they cope well with other people's code who do not use these tools?

pychecker complains a lot when used on code that is poorly written and
includes bad practices such as using builtin function names as local
variable names. I consider pychecker's complaints in these cases to be a
*feature*.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at wintersun.org>
http://wintersun.org/