Why property works only for objects?

Michal Kwiatkowski ruby at no.spam
Sat Mar 11 14:43:15 EST 2006

Alex Martelli napisał(a):
> First, let's forget legacy-style classes, existing only for backwards
> compatibility, and focus on new-style ones exclusively -- never use
> legacy classes if you can avoid that.

Ok, let's cover only new-style classes in our discussion.

I've read your comments and am on a way of reading your articles. Still,
with my current knowledge I'm trying to write pure python attributes
lookup function. I've failed for example given below:

class C(object):
    __dict__ = {}

obj = C()
obj.a = 7
obj.__dict__ = {}
print object.__getattribute__(obj, '__dict__')
print object.__getattribute__(C, '__dict__')
print obj.a  # => 7 !!!

First print returns "{}" and the second returns

     '__module__': '__main__',
     '__weakref__': <attribute '__weakref__' of 'C' objects>,
     '__doc__': None}

Neither of them have "a" attribute. How come obj.a doesn't raise an
exception? Where obj.a is kept?

mk
--
 . o .       >>  http://joker.linuxstuff.pl  <<
 . . o   It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong