email package 4.0a2

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Mar 16 13:43:44 EST 2006

[Barry Warsaw]
>> I'm happy to announce the release of the email 4.0a2 standalone
>> package.

[Konrad Hinsen]
> My interpretation of the above paragraph is that it will be
> impossible to write Python code using the email module (and possibly
> other evolving modules) that works with both Python 2.4 and Python
> 2.6.

No, that's not correct.

try:
     from email import message
except ImportError:
     # Compat with 2.4 and earlier
     from email import Message as message

(etc)

Note also that 2.5 won't be out until late this year; 2.6 will
probably be something like mid 2008.  That's a long time after 2.4
(or 2.3, or 2.2).  If you want to support something like 10 years of
versions, there will be difficulties doing that.  You can always
bundle up the email package separately (this is extremely easy),
however, so that users have email 4.0 and Python 2.2.

=Tony.Meyer