Python Evangelism

rtilley rtilley at vt.edu
Thu Mar 9 11:45:00 EST 2006

Andrew Gwozdziewycz wrote:
> What would changing the name of language you're
> trying to market do for the marketing campaign?

I forgot to address this part... I think it would create a lot of hype.
What well-established programming language has ever had the nerve to
change its name after more than a decade of success? Think of the
attention that alone would bring :) python would get slashdotted to
death! CNN would probably write about it... maybe the BBC too.

Python could have a huge name changing contest/campaign and maybe some
killer app could be released just as the name had changed. Guido could
make some statement about dropping the cold-bloodedness of Python,
becoming more warm and inviting, etc. etc.

It would be a smashing success.