New python.org site

Bertrand Mansion golgote at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 14:37:53 EST 2006

On 3/11/06, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> "A competition" sounds like a wonderful idea, but suppose there were to
> be one, and a winner were to be declared, where do we go from there to
> get the winning design up on a server behind www.python.org?

That's not the problem IMO.

Before launching any contest, it should be made clear what needs to be
done by contestants. This involves writing an organized chart of
existing (or not) content and detailed guidelines.

For the contest, contestants will get a copy of these guidelines:
- First, second, third navigation levels.
- Python history, positioning, etc.

If these guidelines are clear and respecting these guidelines becomes
a part of the final applications evaluation, then it will be easy to
adapt the winning results to the site. I have looked at
http://psf.pollenation.net, the current python.org svn, and it seems
python.org currently doesn't work with any database backend... It
seems to be just a plain ol' html site built upon YAML files. There
can't probably be an easier configuration.

BTW, this is a interesting read and could be used as a basis for the guidelines:
<http://psf.pollenation.net/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/browser/trunk/resources/docs/pydotorg-redesign.pdf?format=raw>

The big part is really deciding what is proposed and what goes where.

----
Bertrand