Inter-module globals

Joel Hedlund joel.hedlund at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 11:56:46 EST 2006

> Use a module and a class variables for that.

I think we could manage a little example too ;-) This one is a fictitious little game project where the user can define a custom graphics directory on the command line.

Three files: game.py, graphics.py and common.py.

The common.py file contains that class with class variables that jorge was talking about. Other modules import this as needed.

The contents of the files follow below.

So:
$ python game.py
/usr/local/mygame/data/gfx
$ python game.py --gfx-dir moo/cow
/usr/local/mygame/moo/cow
$ python game.py --gfx-dir /moo/cow
/moo/cow

Hope it helps!
/Joel Hedlund

main.py:
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys

import graphics
from common import Settings

try:
    i = sys.argv.index('--gfx-dir')
except ValueError:
    pass
else:
    Settings.graphics_dir = sys.argv[i + 1]

print graphics.graphics_dir()

common.py:
class Settings(object):
    game_dir = '/usr/local/mygame'
    graphics_dir = 'data/gfx'

graphics.py:
import os

from common import Settings

def graphics_dir():
    return os.path.join(Settings.game_dir, Settings.graphics_dir)