Why python doesn't use syntax like function(, , x) for default parameters?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Mar 10 08:04:34 EST 2006

"Dmitry Anikin" <anikin#remove_this#@vstu.ru> wrote:
> There are often situations when a function has independent
> parameters, all having reasonable defaults, and I want to
> provide just several of them. In fact, I can do it using
> keyword parameters, but it's rather long and you have to
> remember/lookup names of parameters.

Specifying the names of the keyword parameters costs you a little typing
once, but saves everybody (including yourself) a lot of grief later when
you're trying to figure out what the heck your code does 6 months later.

> I badly need this feature in embedded python app (for
> compatibility with other language that uses such syntax)

Can you tell us more about what it is that you're trying to do?

> Or maybe it might be an idea for enhancement proposal?

You can always write up a PEP, but to be honest, this doesn't sound like
one that would meet with much enthusiasm from the community.