wired md5 hashing problem

Matthias Güntert MatzeGuentert at gmx.de
Sun Mar 26 09:56:27 EST 2006

Hello list-members

i am in the process of writing a python script to backup my data. Now I
would like to implement md5/sha1 hashes.

    # do md5 fingerprinting
    if config.get("global", "crc") == "md5":
        m = md5.new()
        # open the file
        f = open(fname, "rb")
        while 1:
            block = f.read(1024*1024)
            if not block:
                break
            # generate the hash
            m.update(block)
        f.close()

        # write the results properly formated to a file
        fd = file(fname + ".md5", "w")
        fd.write(m.hexdigest())
        fd.write("  " + fname + "\n")
        fd.close()

mguentert at uranos > md5sum -c backup.tar.bz2.md5
/fileservice/temp/backup.tar.bz2: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 computed checksum did NOT match

mguentert at uranos > cat backup.tar.bz2.md5
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  /fileservice/temp/backup.tar.bz2

so the format should be okay, but whats wrong with my piece of code?!

Greetings

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

                Matthias Güntert