Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 13:50:57 EST 2006

On 13 Mar 2006 10:19:05 -0800, Paul Rubin
<"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
> > What people don't usually understand (or rather complain about loudly)
> > is that Trolltech can refuse to license Qt to you under the commercial
> > licence, as is their right as the owner of the copyrighted work.
>
> What is the deal here?  Why would they refuse, to someone willing to
> pay the commercial license fee?  They are a business, and as such,
> they presumably like gettng money.  And someone wanting to develop a
> proprietary app with Qt that users have to pay for, shouldn't mind
> paying Trolltech for the commercial Qt license.
> --

per year - so an obvious thing for people to attempt (and I have no
idea if this has been tried, but I wouldn't doubt it) is for a company
to download the GPL version, develop the application internally, and
then purchase 1 license when they're ready to ship. This would
seriously bite into TTs income and they aren't interested in allowing
you do this, so while you're free to download the GPL version and
develop all you want, TT won't sell you a commercial license "after
the fact" like this.