Incorrect Decimal-Float behaviour in comparison tests

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Mar 3 11:39:56 EST 2006

Cassiano, Marco wrote:
> I have difficulties with a weird Python 2.4.2 behaviour in comparing Decimal to Floats.
>
> For Example :

> ... else: print a,b,'b is greater than a - CORRECT'
>

> 3.7 6.3 a is greater than b - NOT TRUE!!!!
>

> Have you ever encountered this behaviour ? It seems a bug to me...
> Do you konw if there is any patch available for this?
>
  >>> if a > Decimal(str(b)):
  ...   print "oh oh!"
  ... else:
  ...   print "This looks better"
This looks better

Decimals and floats aren't meant to be directly compared. You can't
even convert a float directly into a Decimal:

  >>> Decimal(3.7)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/decimal.py", line 534, in __new__
     raise TypeError("Cannot convert float to Decimal.  " +
TypeError: Cannot convert float to Decimal.  First convert the float to
a string

So what you are seeing is the result of a comparison based on types: you
will probably find that all floats compare less than all Decimals.

The correct thing to do is apply the float() function to Decimals before
comparing them with other floats:

  >>> if float(a) > float(b):
  ...   print "a > b"
  ... else:
  ...   print "b > a"
b > a

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com