Problem binding to Active Directory

Rudy Schockaert rudy.schockaert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 03:47:38 EST 2006

I use the following script:

from win32com.client import GetObject, Dispatch

user=''
password=''
default_naming_context =
GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE").Get("defaultNamingContext")
ad = GetObject("LDAP:").OpenDSObject("LDAP://%s" % default_naming_context,
user, password, 1 + 512)

If user & password contain a correct value the script works. According to
the ADSI documentation, replacing user and password with NULLstrings should
use the credentials of the currently logged on user. In VBScript this works,
but in Python I get different errormessages depending on what I pass as
value to these parameters.

Can somebody tell me how to do this? How can I pass a NULL-string here

Thanks in advance,

Rudy