newbie questions

Luigi luigipaioro at libero.it
Wed Mar 15 11:14:38 EST 2006

Hi!

1. Documentation... sorry...
2. There are no standars, it depends on the apidoc tool you want to use
3. I don't know, but when you extract the api documentation (using
tools as epydoc or happydoc) you have all the information you need (I
think)....

4. As your python code is a script code, you don't need a main()
function (like C): all the lines you write are directly executed. For
example a code:

---
#!/usr/bin/python
a=5
b=a+3
print b
---

is directly executed.

If you are writing a class:

---
#!/usr/bin/python
class Test:
  _init__(self):
    self.name="My test"

t = Test()
print t.name
----

This code instances a class Test and prints the name attribute.

Note that if you import a file containing the code above as a python
module, the last 2 lines are executed. In order to avoid it you must
write:

---
#!/usr/bin/python
class Test:
  _init__(self):
    self.name="My test"

if __name__ == "__main__":
  t = Test()
  print t.name
----

Like this you execute the last two lines only if you execute directly
your file with the python interpreter.

I hope this can help you.

Luigi