Python Evangelism

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Thu Mar 9 15:34:35 EST 2006

Douglas Alan wrote:
> Ruby didn't start catching on until Ruby on Rails came out.  If Python
> has a naming problem, it's with the name of Django, rather than
> Python.  Firstly, Django doesn't have "Python" in the name, so it
> doesn't popularize the language behind it, even should Django become
> very popular.  Secondly, Django just doesn't have the ring of "Ruby on
> Rails".  They should change the name to "Blood Python" instead.  Okay,
> well, maybe not.  How about "Green Tree Python"?  Hmmm, kind of
> boring.  Well, maybe "Python on the Bullet Train"?  Okay, too
> derivative.  "Maglev Python"?  "Python with Panache"?  "Python on
> Prozac"?

How about Amethyst? As in "amethyst python" - see
http://www.stthomasschool.org/Classrooms/ausnz/AmPython.htm

Of course, although amethyst was originally considered a "cardinal gem"
alongside ruby, it no longer is since huge quantities were discovered in
Brazil - at least, that's what is says here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/gemstone-1

> I give up.  In any case, I'm sure Django was a great musician, but the
> product needs a better name to have any chance of displacing Rails.

I find the Django name tres cool and am considering changing the names
of two Python projects on which I am working to Thelonious and Miles.

Tim C