Server.sendmail with no "to_addrs" parameter.

Jim Segrave jes at nl.demon.net
Wed Mar 22 16:15:17 EST 2006

In article <12236cqqf20gc7f at corp.supernews.com>,
Jeffrey Froman  <jeffrey at fro.man> wrote:
>EdWhyatt wrote:
>
>> But are you serious about that RFC Compliant thing?
>
>RFC 2822 obsoletes RFC 822, and I don't know of any specification in RFC
>2822 that requires an email address to be present in the To: header. My
>mail seems to generally work fine without a To: header.
>
>I haven't memorized RFC 2822 though, so you may want to read it yourself if
>you're concerned ;-)
>

>From RFC 2822:

   The following table indicates limits on the number of times each
   field may occur in a message header as well as any special
   limitations on the use of those fields.  An asterisk next to a
   value
   in the minimum or maximum column indicates that a special
   restriction
   appears in the Notes column.

Field           Min number      Max number      Notes
to              0               1

cc              0               1

bcc             0               1

So the answere is, that it's not required to have any destinations
listed in the headers of the message.

It appears that it's not kosher to have an empty To: header, though
I think that few MUAs will balk at this

--
Jim Segrave           (jes at jes-2.demon.nl)