how do you move to a new line in your text editor?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Mar 3 04:49:41 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:

> But I read in the PEP that spaces are recommended over tabs. If this is
> the case, it would involve pressing backspace 4 times (or 8, etc.) to
> get back to column 1.

In the editor which I use, pressing the tab key indents the current line
under the previous one the first time you press it near the start of a
line, then indents a further 4 spaces every other time you press it. The
backspace key deletes the previous character, unless there is only
whitespace before it in the line in which case it deletes back to the
previous tabstop.

This sort of configuration is common to most programming editors: keys
should work in an intuitive manner and don't have to be dumb.