Find similar images using python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Mar 29 09:25:59 EST 2006

Thomas W wrote:

> How can I use python to find images that looks quite similar? Thought
> I'd scale the images down to 32x32 and convert it to use a standard
> palette of 256 colors then compare the result pixel for pixel etc, but
> it seems as if this would take a very long time to do when processing
> lots of images.
>
> Any hint/clue on this subject would be appreciated.

You are aware that this is one of the most sophisticated research areas in
CS in general? Your approach is by no means appropriate for even the
slightest of differences in the image - after all, your only reducing
resolution. That doesn't e.g account for different lighting conditions -
you wouldn't be able to connect a still photograph of a house taken by a
mounted camera at dusk and at dawn. And so on. So as long as you don't have
a _very_ homogene image source, this is a way more complicated task - if
not undoable.

Diez