StaticBoxSizer problems

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 9 14:00:59 EST 2006

Matthias Kluwe wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>Matthias Kluwe wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to place several StaticBoxes in a frame, but I can't get it
>>>right.
>

>>>Consider the following code:
>>
>>>import wx
>>
>>>app = wx.PySimpleApp()
>>>frame = wx.Frame(parent=None, title="Test")
>>>box = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
>>>frame.SetSizer(box)
>>>upper_box = wx.StaticBox(parent=frame, label="Upper Box")
>>>box.Add(item=upper_box, flag=wx.GROW)
>>
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>You should remiove this line.
>

> Hmm. As I see it, this means constructing the StaticBox and not placing
> it in the frame. Obviously, this does not help.

Did you actually try removing the line and running the program? Guess
what: the button appears inside the static box sizer. And your problem
with that would be ... ?

>>[...]
>>

>>>What am I missing?
>>
>>Generally speaking what you appear to be missing is a methodical
>>approach to GUI consruction. This reminds me of a lot of my early
>>experiments with wxPython code :-)
>

> "a methodical approach to GUI construction"? Please be more specific --
> any hints are welcome. Clearly, the above is an experiment with
> wxPython, not anything methodical. This may follow when I understand
> how StaticBoxSizer works.

Well, "methodical" would seem to include testing the suggestions of
well-meaning fellow netizens, for a start, rather than using your
psychic powers to predict results.

regards
  Steve

--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com