PEP 354: Enumerations in Python

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Mar 1 20:07:56 EST 2006

>> Should I amend the PEP to propose "either in the builtins
>> or in the collections module"? Or should I propose two
>> PEPs and let them compete?

I see the issue of whether it's a built-in or part of the standard library
as being a detail.  My personal opinion is that they're important enough to
be built in, but having to write "import enum" (or whatever) won't kill me.
If making it a builtin becomes a point of contention, drop it and
concentrate on the more key issues of how enums will behave.