Random Number Generator Error

ahmet nurlu ahmet_nurlu at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 18 04:36:02 EST 2006

Hi,
 I wrote a random walk program which you will find below.  When I run it from the terminal, it gives error which I am not able to figure out what could be wrong. From the bash shell, I give a command
     >python2.4 random.py
 It gives error:
     Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "random.py", line 2, in ?
     from pylab import *
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in ?
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 196, in ?
     import mlab  #so I can override hist, psd, etc...
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/matplotlib/mlab.py", line 58, in ?
     import sys, random
   File "/home/ofenerci/workspace/random.py", line 11, in ?
     if (rand() > 0.5):
 NameError: name 'rand' is not defined
 [3]   Done                    gedit random.py
 When I  write the program step by step inside the python2.4 shell or run it inside the python2.4-idle, everything goes smoothly and it doesn't give any error. I don't know why gives error, If I run it from the terminal.

 thanks,
 Ahmet Nurlu

 Random.py Program:
 from pylab import *