Tablelist 4.3

ezd eugene_druker at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 20:52:01 EST 2006

Arne Meissner wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I have downloaded the  Tablelist 4.3 from http://www.nemethi.de/.
>
> Now I want to install it on my system Win XP.
>
> From the distribution I have got the following information:
> "
> On Windows, use WinZip or some other program capable of unpacking the
> distribution file tablelist4_3.zip into the directory tablelist4.3, with the
> subdirectories demos, doc, and scripts.
>
> Note that the file tablelistEdit.tcl in the scripts directory is only needed
> for applications making use of interactive cell editing.  Similarly, the
> file tablelistMove.tcl in the same directory is only required for scripts
> invoking the move or movecolumn command.  Finally, the file
> tablelistThemes.tcl is only needed for applications using the package
> Tablelist_tile (see next section).
>
> Next, you should check the exact version number of your Tcl/Tk distribution,
> given by the tcl_patchLevel and tk_patchLevel variables.  If you are using
> Tcl/Tk version 8.2.X, 8.3.0 - 8.3.2, or 8.4a1, then you should upgrade your
> Tcl/Tk distribution to a higher release.  This is because a bug in these Tcl
> versions (fixed in Tcl 8.3.3 and 8.4a2) causes excessive memory use when
> calling  info exists  on non-existent array elements, and Tablelist makes a
> lot of invocations of this command.
>
> "
>
> But I don't know who to do it.
> I have copied the files to my python directory. By calling the package I get
> an error.
> Would somebody please so kind and explain me the installtion step by step.
> E.g. Where to copy the files?, Who can I obtain the tcl_patchLevel
> information?, How can I invoke the tableliste in a python programm.
>
> Thank you!

I use TableList_4.1 on Win XP.
1. put the whole directory tablelist4.1 of the zip-file
   into C:\Python24\tcl\tablelist4.1\ (i.e. all the archive
   into the directory).
2. put TableList.py from
    http://mfranklin.is-a-geek.org/docs/TableList/index.html
   anywhere as usual .py file. The documentation in the script is
   only a part of original tcl documentation, you may need more.
3. import & enjoy
4. there are some annoying errors in the version (like
   inconsistent returned types of some methods,...)
ezd