Convert Word .doc to Acrobat .pdf files

Thu Mar 23 22:17:21 EST 2006

## this creates a postscript file which you can then convert to PDF
## using Acrobat Distiller
##
## BTW, I spent an hour trying to get this working with
## win32com.client.Dispatch
## (the save file dialog still appeared)
## Then I remembered win32com.client.dynamic.Dispatch
##
## Can somebody please explain why this happened using
## win32com.client.Dispatch?
import win32com.client.dynamic

if __name__ == '__main__':
    printer = "Adobe PDF on NE03:"
    docpath = r"E:\Documents and Settings\justin\Desktop\test.doc"
    pspath = r"E:\Documents and Settings\justin\Desktop\test.ps"

    word = win32com.client.dynamic.Dispatch("Word.Application")
    try:
        document = word.Documents.Open(docpath, 0, -1)
        try:
            remember = word.ActivePrinter
            word.ActivePrinter = printer
            try:
                document.PrintOut(Background=0, OutputFileName=pspath,
                                  PrintToFile=-1)
            finally:
                word.ActivePrinter = remember
        finally: