Stackless Python for 2.4.3

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 08:49:56 EST 2006

Hi,

Stackless Python is now available for the recent release of Python
2.4.3 (final).

You can either obtain the source code from the SVN repository or
download the precompiled windows binaries.

SVN:        http://codespeak.net/svn/stackless/Python-2.4.3/dev
Download: http://www.stackless.com/download

If anyone plans to download and compile the source, there are
however some minor things that need to be taken into account which you
may be able to help me with, if you have the time.

 1. I need a generated 'configure' file.  I believe the 'configure.in'
    fine should be fine, but if someone could run autoconf and send me
    the result so I can check it in, it would be appreciated.

    It would be best if anyone planning to do this checked the
    Stackless mailing list to see if there was any mention of
    someone else already having taken care of it.

 2. Having the Python tests run, and the Stackless unittests run by
    various people on different platforms would give a better
    indication of the state of the port.

    The following instructions are of course Win32 specific, but they
    should be translate easily.

    a) Retrieve the 2.4.3 source code from SVN at:
       http://codespeak.net/svn/stackless/Python-2.4.3/dev

    b) Compile it.

    c) Open a console in the 'Stackless\unittests' directory.
       Type '..\..\PCBuild\python.exe run_all.py'.

       The expected result is that one pickling test will fail, this is
       ok and it is the same known bug that we had for 2.4.2, which
       should be easy enough to fix if someone wants to step forward
       and put in the time and effort.

    d) Open a console in the top level of the source code.
       Type 'PCBuild\python.exe Lib\test\regrtest.py'

       The expected result is that there will be a lot of skipped
       tests, and possibly some failures depending on your platform.

       I had these fail:
       - test_email
       - test_winsound

       Neither of the errors were necessarily Stackless related, but
       it is possible they are.  But if you see any for your build that
       are unexpected, please mention them.

Thanks,
Richard Tew.