Python Evangelism

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 9 08:42:13 EST 2006

Doug Bromley wrote:
> Python is in desperate need of marketing and I don't think its new site
> will help it.
> The Ruby community has a fanaticism we could learn from and its going
> some way to 'converting' me.  The community is alive, growing, shouting
> from the roof tops while the Python community seems to sit in its ivory
> towers conducting research and corporate development in
> 'forward-thinking' companies such as Google.

OK, and this post will improve the situation how, exactly?

> I can see Ruby overtaking Python if we don't ALL do something about it.

Indeed. Hence http://www.squidoo.com/pythonology

And your contribution is ... yet another post about how we all need to
*do* something? On the other hand, you could just roll up your sleeves
and start doing something :-)

Your take on Python is likely unique: start telling people why *you* use it.

regards
  Steve

> On 9 Mar 2006 02:43:53 -0800, *Gerard Flanagan* < grflanagan at yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:grflanagan at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Steve Holden wrote:
>      > I've been thinking (and blogging) about python evangelism since
>     PyCon,
>      > as a result of which I created a squidoo lens:
>      >
>      >    http://www.squidoo.com/pythonlogy
>      >
>      > Imagine my surprise at discovering that this has gone up in rank (by
>      > number of views) from # 442,000 or so to #153! Clearly there's some
>      > mileage in marketing Python, and I'd like to keep the buzz going
>     if it
>      > means more people will adopt the language.
>      >
>      > Any suggestions for improvement?
>      >

>     '-nology' not '-nlogy' in the link.
>
>     I like the 'What's Happening on Planet Python' section - I find the
>     planetpython.org <http://planetpython.org> gives too much of an
>     intro to the pages it links to. A
>     line or too, as in the lens site,  would be preferable in my view.
>     Just a thought - would a similar section be suitable for 'python.org
>     <http://python.org>'
>     main page?
>
>     Gerard

By the way, the apparent increase in rank was somewhat bogus given that
there appear to be fewer than 20,000 lenses at present :-)
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com