image letter recognition

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Fri Mar 10 16:46:20 EST 2006

gau.tai at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there an existing package for python that will perform simple letter
> recognition from image files?  I'm specifically looking for a way to
> read from a png file, but that can be changed.

"simple letter recognition from image file" now there's an oxymoron.

I've successfully used ExperVision's RTK OCR toolkit for Windows
from Python.  Actually by using ctypes you should be able to call
any of the many OCR engines that are available.  Alas, all that I
found that were really good were not free (but I haven't looked in
well over a year).

-Larry Bates