Per instance descriptors ?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Mar 22 18:48:50 EST 2006

Michael Spencer a écrit :
> bruno at modulix wrote:
>
>> Ziga Seilnacht wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> ...     def __getattribute__(self, name):
>>> ...         v = object.__getattribute__(self, name)
>>> ...         if not isinstance(v, types.FunctionType) \
>>
>>                 and hasattr(v, '__get__'):
>>
>>> ...             return v.__get__(self, self.__class__)
>>> ...         return v
>>

> I may be missing the subtlety of what you're up to, but why is
> overriding __getattribute__ more desirable than simply defining the
> descriptor in a  subclass?

The code snippet I gave as an example was not supposed to reflect how I
effectively mean to use per-instance descriptors, it was just a kind of
Minimal Working Code (tm). The real life code is about 500 LOC, and
explaining the whole thing would take far too long. Also, as I said,
this is mostly syntactic sugar - there are simpler, less 'hackish' (but
also less elegant) solutions to the actual 'problem'. So, to answer your
question, no, subclassing would not be a solution - I'd almost need a
subclass per controller function, which would reintroduce the
boilerplate I'm trying to get rid of.

BTW, there may be other use case for per-instance descriptors... Python
is so dynamic that you can almost use it like a prototype-based language.

(snip code)