how do you move to a new line in your text editor?

Thu Mar 2 13:39:55 EST 2006

This is a real small point, but I'd like to hear what others do in this
case. It's more an 'administrative' type question than Python code
question, but it still involves a bit of syntax.

One thing I like to do is use tabs for my indentation, because this
makes it easy to outdent when I need to start a new line in column 1. I
can press backspace once and move 4 spaces to the left.

But I read in the PEP that spaces are recommended over tabs. If this is
the case, it would involve pressing backspace 4 times (or 8, etc.) to
get back to column 1.

So I'm wondering, how do you all handle moving around in your code in
cases like this? Is there some sort of consistency to these things that
you can write rules for your text editor to know when to outdent? It
doesn't seem like you can do this reliably, though.