do design patterns still apply with Python?

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Fri Mar 3 04:08:08 EST 2006

ajones wrote:

(snip)

> I would suggest getting a good grasp on OOP before you get into design
> patterns. When most people start with any new concept they tend to try
> and see everything in terms of their new toy, so sticking to one or two
> new concepts at a time will make things a little easier.
>
> Design patterns are kind of like sarcasm: hard to use well, not always
> appropriate, and disgustingly bad when applied to problems they are not
> meant to solve. You will do just fine without them until OOP is at
> least familiar to you, and by that time you should be a little better
> able to use them appropriately.

<aol>Well, I mostly agree here</aol> but OTOH, studying the GoF has been
a real 'OO mind-opener' for me.

I'd say the key here is to study existing patterns to try and understand
how to best design and structure OO code instead of insisting on
copy/pasting canonical patterns everywhere (IOW : trying to get the
'spirit' of patterns instead of sticking to the 'letter').

My 2 cents...
--
bruno desthuilliers