Python advocacy in scientific computation

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sun Mar 5 13:38:22 EST 2006

David Treadwell wrote:

> My ability to think  of data structures was stunted BECAUSE of
> Fortran and BASIC. It's very difficult for me to give up my bottom-up
> programming style, even though I write better, clearer and more
> useful code when I write top-down.

That is also the case with Matlab, anything mor complex than an array
is beyond reach.

I think it was Paul Graham (the LISP guru) once claimed he did not miss
recursive functions while working with Fortran 77. The limitations of a
language does stunt your mind. To that extent I am happy I learned to
program with Pascal and not Fortran or Matlab.

S.M.