Python IDE: great headache....

Sullivan WxPyQtKinter sullivanz.pku at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 18:33:22 EST 2006

IDLE is no longer satisfactory for me. Other IDEs make me very
confused. Really do not know which one to use.

I use WinXP sp2 for current development.

So far as I know, Eclipse + PyDev + PyDev Extension is perfect for
source code editing. Since I am really not sure how to use the debugger
module, I really do not know how to add watch to variables etc. Anyone
knows if this platform is a good one?

I hope that an IDE should be featured with:
1. Grammar Colored highlights.
2. Manage project in a tree view or something alike, ie, a project file
navigator.
3. Code collapse and folding.
4. Code auto-completion: especially prompting function parameters when
I am typing a function previously defined by myself. Like the one in
Visual Studio series.
5. Debugging: Breakpoints, conditional pause. watch for variables.step
into, over and out of a function.
What about other IDEs? Since I do not need GUI development. More over,
the free-of-charge IDE is highly preferred.
6.Indentation management like in IDLE: press ctrl+[/] to modify the
identation of a line or a block.

In addition, I have seen quite a few editors, which are definitely not
what I want.

Thank you so much for suggestions.