python debugging question

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Wed Mar 8 16:54:56 EST 2006

diffuser78 at gmail.com wrote:
> I am a python newbie. I have writen some 500 lines of code. There are 4
> classes and in all 5 files.
>
> Now, I am trying to run the program. I am getting wrong values for the
> simulation results.
> Is there any debugging facilities in python which would let me go step
> by step and check the values of the variables at every step. I have
> done something like this in MS Visual Stdio 6.0 sometime back.
>
> For python, I am using SPE.
>
> what is a good way of debugging such large and iterative programs ? Any
> tips.
>
> Every help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Check the PDB standard package, reading Debugging in Python
(http://www.ferg.org/papers/debugging_in_python.html) may also help.

And I think SPE provides WinPDB, check the user manual.

I'd suggest trying to work out why it doesn't work at a higher level
instead of relying on the debugger already, 500 lines is not much code
to go through, a few well placed prints or sys.stderr.write() should be
more than enough.