Obtaining the remote ip address

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Mar 28 17:36:05 EST 2006

EP wrote:
> While on the subject of network identity, does anyone have a scheme to
> get the MAC address of the end device?  I've never come up with a way to
> do it, but I haven't had it proven to me that it is impossible (yet).

Which end?  I'll assume you mean _not_ the server end. :-)

The MAC address for the client end (i.e. the end you don't control)
isn't going to be available to you unless it's local to your network.
If that's the case, one option is parsing the output of the "arp"
command as appropriate for your platform (note: this is inherently a
platform-specific issue).

If the other end is not local, it's unclear what value the MAC address
would have for you.  Maybe describing that will lead to some more
effective solutions being suggested.

-Peter