socket freezes

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Mar 4 03:17:17 EST 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:12:22 +0000, "Luis P. Mendes"
> <luis_lupe2XXX at netvisaoXXX.pt> declaimed the following in
> comp.lang.python:
>

>>I'm beggining to suspect that the problem has to do with a discontinual
>>of service of the ISP.  It provides me a dynamic IP address not a static
>>one.
>>

> 	And many ISPs force a "lease renewal" after some period of time
> (hours or days).

The DHCP protocol is supposed to allow lease renewal throughout the
lease period, and clients are normally expected to renew their lease
halfway through the lease period. So a continuously-connected system
should retain the same IP address.

If ISPs are *forcing* lease renewal they are perverting DHCP. Network
service should be continuous as long as a system remains continuously
connected.
 > [...]

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com