how do you move to a new line in your text editor?

Carl Banks invalidemail at aerojockey.com
Thu Mar 2 13:51:50 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> So I'm wondering, how do you all handle moving around in your code in
> cases like this? Is there some sort of consistency to these things that
> you can write rules for your text editor to know when to outdent? It
> doesn't seem like you can do this reliably, though.

Emacs, at least, outdents reliably with spaces.  Probably some other
editors do as well, though I was kind of surprised to find out that
some editors have (compared to Emacs) weak indent inference.

If editing with spaces annoys you, it might be possible with your
editor (which seems to have a variable tab stop) to edit the file with
tabs, but save it with spaces.

Carl Banks