help in converting perl re to python re

Joel Hedlund joel.hedlund at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 03:04:16 EST 2006

Hi

> the perl code finds a line that matches something like
> "<tag1>sometext<\tag1>" in the line and then assign $variable the value
> of  "sometext"

No, but if you use a closing </tag1> instead of <\tag1> it does. You had me scratching my head for a while there. :-)

This should do it in python:

#!/usr/bin/python

import re

regexp = re.compile(r"<(tag1)>(.*)</\1>")
line = "<tag1>sometext</tag1>"
match = regexp.search(line)

if match:
    variable = match.group(2)