tips for this exercise?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Tue Mar 28 15:38:25 EST 2006

Not a lot wrong with your code except that your
return fiveNumbers will execute the first time
through the loop because it is indented inside
the loop.  Also, append does its work in place,
it doesn't return a new list.

You also might want to pass the maximum number
and return count, into the function and initialize
numbers list there.  That way you can call
genNumbers(54, 5) or genNumbers(103, 7) and get
differing length lists back from your function.

def genNumbers(maxnum, retcount):
    numbers=range(1, maxnum)
    for x in range(retcount):
        retNumbers = []