spliting on ":"

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 6 13:28:59 EST 2006

Cyril Bazin wrote:
> I agree. None is an object! If you want to compare an object to another
> object why not using "=="?

The term "compare" is ambiguous.  If you want to compare for *identity*,
you use "is".  If you want to compare for equality, you use "==".  In
most cases with None you are interested in identity, not equality.  It's
that simple.

As I said, the archives have extensive discussions about this with lots
of the nuances already covered in far more detail than I'm going to do
again in this thread.  (The advice was free, so you're quite welcome to
consider it to be worth what you paid.)

-Peter