put multiple condition in if statement

Sat Mar 11 01:12:23 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:47:33 -0800, Alex Martelli wrote:

> <Allerdyce.John at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I put multiple condition in if statement?
>>
>> I try this, but I can't get that to work.
>>
>> if ( (str != " ") && (str != "") ):
>
> Why would you WANT to conjoin two instances of the SAME check...?!

No, the first is checking for str equal to a space character, the second
for the empty string. You need to get those glasses checked *grin*

Note to the original poster: the more "pythonic" way of doing this check
will be:

if s and s.strip():
    # do something with non-empty s
else:
    # s is either empty or all whitespace

Don't use "str" as a variable name, as it will over-ride the built-in type
str. This will eventually cause you problems, when you try something like
this:

>>> str(5)
'5'
>>> str = "Hello world"  # shadow the built-in
>>> str(5)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable