sizeof(struct timeval)

Tony Houghton this.address.is.fake at realh.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 20:13:56 EST 2006

I'm writing a python program which reads input device events so it needs
to know sizeof(struct timeval). By using the struct module I should be
able to work out sizeof(long) from python, but I can't think of a way to
measure non-fundamental types without including a little bit of C,
which I'd rather avoid.

How safe would I be assuming that

    sizeof(struct timeval) == 2 * sizeof(long)

is always true on Linux on different architectures? AFAIK the input
device interface is Linux-specific so I don't need to worry about other
OS's.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.