removing file by inode

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Mar 23 11:40:40 EST 2006

On 2006-03-23, Arne Ludwig <arne at citde.net> wrote:

> Good answer. :)  I seriously doubt it is possible except for the
> trivial solution:  [...]

I don't know if there is a Linux equivalent, but under SunOS
there was a way to delete a file given it's i-node.  And that's
all it did was delete the file itself and mark the i-node as
free.  It didn't remove any directory entries referring to the
i-node.

It left your filesystem in a rather broken state, so you had to
run fsck afterwards.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have a very good
                                  at               DENTAL PLAN. Thank you.