Writing web bots in python

Ben C spamspam at spam.eggs
Sun Mar 19 13:39:51 EST 2006

On 2006-03-18, sudharsh at gmail.com <sudharsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I hav a question..How do I write a webbot that logs onto some website,
> fills text into a textbox and submit that form, Sorry I am a novice in
> python, apparently I have to use urllib, but I hav a few queries on
> this, What happens when there are more input interfaces..does urllib
> make somekind of a template when it does so..need more info on
> this..links and tutorilas would be appreciated..thanx

Not strictly Python related, but if you use Firefox, get the "Tamper
Data" extension for it. This lets you see exactly what Firefox is
submitting in the formdata, and what the urls are of the cgi scripts
etc.

I usually invoke a program called curl from python with os.popen, but
this twill someone has suggested looks interesting.