how to comment lot of lines in python

Michael Hobbs mike at hobbshouse.org
Fri Mar 31 11:59:34 EST 2006

Eric Deveaud wrote:
> olsongt at verizon.net wrote:
>
>>  Eric Deveaud wrote:

>>> I would say NO.  docstring are displayed by pydoc, thus a pydoc on your
>>> code will display some inconsistent information ;-)
>>>

>>  docstrings are a bit of a magical construct.  Not all strings in a
>>  function are docstrings.
>>

> yep fogotten that triple quotted strings are considered as docstring
> only if they are the first lines of the module/fonction/class/method
> excluding the comments lines.

The official rule is that if *any* string is the first line of a
function/etc, it is considered a docstring. It's just standard
convention to use the triple quotes for docstrings. As you mentioned,
you can use triple quotes for any string; likewise, you can use standard
quotes ( ' or " ) for docstrings as well.

- Mike