Is this possible in Python?

Caleb Hattingh a at b.c
Mon Mar 13 13:35:53 EST 2006

Hi

I don't think this is what you want (a string representation of the
argument passed to a function as that argument is at runtime is way
beyond my abilities), but this can retrieve the literal text in the
function call as it appears in the .py file, assuming you have the .py
file available and not just the .pyc:

### Call this file "pyfunargtest.py"
def fun(i):
     pass

fun(8+7)

def test():
     fname = 'pyfunargtest.py'
     testfunname = 'f'
     flines = open(fname,'r').readlines()
     for i in flines:
         if i.find(testfunname)>-1 and i.find('def '+testfunname)==-1:
             s = i
             break
     leftbracketposition = s.find('(')
     rightbracketposition = s.find(')')
     arg = s[leftbracketposition+1:rightbracketposition]
     return arg

print test()
### Output:
# 8+7