First script, please comment and advise

Pedro Graca hexkid at dodgeit.com
Thu Mar 9 15:17:10 EST 2006

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> My version is similar to Just one:
>
> from random import shuffle
>
> def scramble_text(text):
>     """Return the words in input text string scrambled
>     except for the first and last letter."""
>     def scramble_word(word):

Nice. You can have functions inside functions.
However I think scramble_word() deserves being a callable function by
itself.

Can a "sub-function" be called directly from outside the defining
function?

>         if len(word) < 4: return word
>         core = list(word[1:-1])
>         shuffle(core)
>         return word[0] + "".join(core) + word[-1]
>
>     return " ".join(map(scramble_word, text.split()))
>
> print scramble_text(scramble_text.__doc__)

Thank you for your version of the scrambler.

--
If you're posting through Google read <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google>