import and shared global variables

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Fri Mar 10 09:22:16 EST 2006

Michael Brenner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm implementing a plugin-based program, structured like the example
> below (where m1 in the main module, loading m2 as a plugin).  I wanted
> to use a single global variable (m1.glob in the example) to store some
> config data that the plugins can access.  However, the output shown
> belown seems to imply that glob is *copied* or recreated during the
> import in m2.  Am I missing something? I thought m1 should be in
> sys.modules and not be recreated during the import in m2.
>
> After browsing c.l.p, it seems that this is probably somehow due to the
> circular import.  However, I do not really see why this should be a
> problem here.  Interestingly, the problem disappears when I put the code
> in m1 in a real main() function instead of "if __name__" etc.  Though
> this seems to solve my problem, I still want to understand what's

What happens here is that there does end up being two copies of m1: the
one named __main__ and the one imported as m1. If you think about this,
there has to be two copies -- otherwise how could sometimes __name__ be
__main__ and sometimes not.

Anyway, there are several options. The simplest one here is not to
modify anything locally from __main__ block. Instead import m1, and
modify that copy. That is:

glob = [1]
if __name__ == "__main__":
      import m1