do design patterns still apply with Python?

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:52:37 EST 2006

On 3/2/06, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:38:44 -0500
> Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> > In article <8SINf.1718$No6.40137 at news.tufts.edu>,
> >  John Salerno <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> > > Since Python does so many things different, especially
> > > compared to  compiled and statically typed languages, do
> > > most of the basic design  patterns still apply when
> > > writing Python code? If I were to read a  design pattern
> > > book (such as Head First Design Patterns), could I apply
> > > their Java examples to Python easily enough, or does
> > > Python require a  different perspective when applying
> > > patterns?
> > [...]
> > The basic concepts in the pattern books are worth knowing.
> >  You just have
> > to be able to tease apart the concepts from the
> > language-specific cruft  that so often obfuscates the
> > descriptions.
>
> This sounds like an article crying out to be written,
> "(Learning) Design Patterns with Python".
>
> Has it been written already?
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

Bruce Eckel began writing "Thinking In Python" it was last updated in 2001.

He's a busy dude with a lot on his plate, so finishing it or updating it
isn't known.

I emailed him once about it and actually got a cordial reply which amounted
to,..."I have no time but I'd love to finish it"

But, the draft does have some interesting tidbits in it and it's worth a
look I think. You def. get the message that patterns apply a lot differently
in python as compared to the {...;} languages.

Details here.

http://mindview.net/Books/Python/ThinkingInPython.html

--
Thomas G. Willis