New python.org site

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Sat Mar 11 08:49:03 EST 2006

* Bertrand Mansion (2006-03-11 10:23 +0000)
> I will go straight to the point, I don't like the new Python.org
> website.

Well, I like it.

> I didn't like the old one neither.

Yeah, the old one was a mess.

> The new one is not better nor worse than the old one, it's just a
> different shell. But in my opinion, it misses the point as well.

> I am motivated to make a better website for python.org. Why ? Because
> I am learning the language and I need a good resource to learn from.
> In its current state, I wouldn't want to use python.org because it's
> messy and doesn't match what I expect. It simply doesn't match the
> quality of the language.
>
> Note that I don't care about the logo, the colors, whatever is
> personal tastes related and that's not my point. In my opinion, the
> design has to fit a mission. I don't think a list of objectives was
> defined prior to the new redesign. Here would be my list of objectives
> for a new website, feel free to add your own:
>
> 1. Give a clear overview of what's available on python.org
> 2. Organize content and make it easy to access it
> 3. Be a gathering point for the existing community
> 4. Reinforce the Python image among the would-be python developers/users
> 5. Make it easy to add new features in the future

Good points.

> Each of these points would need to be extended and detailed.
>
> Now I have a few questions:
> [...]

There have recently been threads here about the website. Maybe the
discussion there gives you some information needed:

* http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/f4c1585fe379d8ad/11fd0062787e374c?tvc=2&q=group%3Acomp.lang.python+insubject%3Apython.org&hl=en#11fd0062787e374c
* http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/23c5ee82f22757f3/2696c44b8385a8e8?tvc=2&q=group%3Acomp.lang.python+insubject%3Apython.org&hl=en#2696c44b8385a8e8
* http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/330af3b245145f7e/667bb15d53f0c555?tvc=2&q=group%3Acomp.lang.python+insubject%3Apython.org&hl=en#667bb15d53f0c555