Python advocacy in scientific computation

Andy Salnikov a_salnikov at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 22:58:19 EST 2006

"Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2751.1141610922.27775.python-list at python.org...
> sturlamolden wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:
>>

>>>And you need to ask why Python is a better Matlab than Matlab?
>>

>> First there are a few things I don't like:
>>
>> 1. Intendation as a part of the syntax, really annoying.
>>
> Troll. You think this is going away because *you* don't like it? Am I to
> presume that you don't bother to indent your C code according to its
> nested block structure? If you *do* indent your C code, perhaps you can
> explain the additional benefits of the braces?

  Calling people trolls for expressing their honest opinion is probably
the worst thing you can do. Try to be more constructive if you want to
help people, especially with such heated topic as indentation.

  My own opinion on this, I think the indentation is probably one
biggest drawback which prevents wider Python acceptance. Indentation
makes all kinds of inlined code extremely clumsy or practically impossible
in Python. OK, I'll stop here, time to be called troll myself :(

  Andy.