WORKAROUND & the Python GUI-lib situation ...

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:32:57 EST 2006

On 3/15/06, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> > wx is also in
> > a far better position for most non-trivial UIs, becuase it has
> > infrastructure that win32 (pretty much alone among modern UI toolkits)
> > lacks, like layout algorithms and i18ln support.
>
> Qt has all of this. On all platforms. Just for the record.

I know - so do almost all other toolkits, but not the win32 API, which
is what I was comparing it to.

> And layout algorithms - that was something I discovered in tk (using it from
> tcl, btw) 10 years ago - but my VB experience some years later didn't
> include that. Maybe that has changed - but the straight VB 6.0 GUI builder
> certainly encouraged you to use windows UI-units or however these thingies
> were called.

Dialog units. But thats a mapping mechanism for scaling dialogs to
screen resolution, not a layout mechanism. The traditional mechanism
on win32 (VB and otherwise) is to place your controls in absolute
(dialog unit) coordinates. If you want to scale with window resizes,
you need to do it manually. Even Delphi has better layout support than
that!