__del__ not called?

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Mar 13 07:32:22 EST 2006

Gregor Horvath wrote:

>> ... # usually it should not be necessary.
>
> Thanks. If I do
>
> del B
>
> then the __del__ of A gets called.
> That surprises me.

Why ?

> I thought that B gets del'd by python when it goes
> out of scope?

It does. What you have to understand here is that in your script, B
being in the global (read : module) scope, it doesnt goes out of scope
before the script's execution's done. By that time, it's too late to do
anything with stdin/stdout/stderr.

Just add this to the script:

def foo():
  b = B()
  print "in foo"

foo()

> Do I manually have to del all class objects, so that their class
> attributes get gc'd ????

Absolutely not. The only times I use del is when I want to cleanup a
namespace from temp vars no longer used (usually a module's namespace
with some hairy tricks at load time).

--
bruno desthuilliers